16 April 2015

Return On Investment

There is a term I hear frequently when I do jobs for financial institutions: return on investment.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

The thing is, it's something I find myself considering. Not so much when it comes to money, because who has money, right? But when it comes to time, I think about it a lot.

I have a lot of goals: reading, writing, exercise, guitar, not to mention my commitments to friends and family and day job. So when I spend my time doing something, I want to make sure I'm what I'm getting out of it is worth it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm sorry if my blog posts are sometimes disjointed and, well...crappy. I don't get to spend a lot of time revising them.

I keep this blog primarily for myself. It's the closest thing I have to a journal or diary, even if its limited in its scope. And it's been good for developing my discipline.

When I think of spending ten or twenty or thirty minutes a day editing my blog posts before posting them, I cringe. That's ten or twenty or thirty minutes I could be using to work on my novel, or practice guitar, or, heaven forbid, sleep.

I write most of my blog posts during breaks at work. There's not a lot of extra time to make them spiffy.

So, to those of you reading the blog: I'm sorry if the posts are ever a bit shambolic. Please know that, if nothing else, you're getting an honest stream of my own consciousness. That's the best I can do right now.