12 February 2015

Lover's Leap from Smith Tea



Oh man. I think I am in love with this new tea. I almost didn't get any - it's a special blend and it sold out in a day! But the fine folks at Smith Teamakers were able to help me get my hands on some.

Lover's Leap is a blend of Ceylon black tea (from the estate where the blend takes its name), pink rose petals, chamomile, and citrus. When you smell the dry leaves, you are instantly transported to heaven. There's no other way to describe it.

As you can see, the tea had a lovely golden liquor when I steeped it (seven minutes, because I usually like my tea on the dark side). It was bursting with rose and perfume scents, but there was this little zing to it that tickled the back of my nostrils. Enticing. Intoxicating.

The taste was round and floral, and the pure taste of Ceylon came bursting through. It seemed less bitter than many other Ceylons I've had. I don't know if it was the blend, or if they selected one that was slightly less fired, but there were vegetal notes that were absolutely luscious. And, of course, the acidity of the citrus helped tie it all together.

This is one of the most complex teas I've ever had the (very great) pleasure of tasting. I am in love!