30 January 2015

Gaja Sito Moresco 2010


There are certain producers that are known for having the highest quality wines across the board, names that are practically synonymous with their regions of origin. In Bordeaux, there are the five first growths; in Burgundy, the Premiers Cru, with Domaine de la Romanée-Conti perhaps held above all others.

In Piedmont, the name that I hear spoken (or written) of most reverently is Gaja. Their bottlings run a wide gamut of price, many of which are more than I can stomach at my current tax bracket, but some, like the Sito Moresco, are reasonably priced, and as soon as I saw this bottle on the wine list at Elemtn 47, I knew I had to have it.

The sommelier decanted it in a RIEDEL Swirl decanter before serving it.

It was bursting with oaky, leathery scents, the type of earth-heavy nose I've come to expect from Italian wines.

It had dark flavors - loam, slate, and a hint of black currant hiding in the background. It was robust and powerful in tannins, subdued in fruit, balanced in acidity.

I enjoyed it with my meal of venison saddle served with polenta balls and sautéed kale, and it was magnificent.

I look forward to trying more of Gaja's repertoire.