12 January 2015

Distraction or Inspiration?

Since the conclusion of last year's NaNoWriMo, I've been pretty dedicated to my writing. I'm not doing 2000 words per day anymore, but I am writing every single day, at least 1,000 words and sometimes more.

I have two manuscripts in progress right now. One is my NaNoWriMo, which is about 75% done, I think, but which I hit a pretty big wall with for a while. I couldn't figure out how to move forward. Sometimes, just writing will get me over those hurdles, but this time it felt like I was leading myself further and further off course.

Instead, I started a second draft on a different manuscript. That one's only about 10,000 words long right now, and it's a lot of fun, but somehow, working on it has helped loosen up my brain about the first manuscript. So now I'm back to the NaNo book.

I don't know if that's the most efficient way of doing things, but it's helped me overcome my hurdles. Sometimes stepping away can be the best way to get inspired again.

Not than inspiration is everything: discipline is important, too. But when you can't figure out how you want your story to end, that little boost of inspiration can make a world of difference.

I think I'm finally back on track with MS #1. And MS #2 is exciting me as well, pushing me to finish #1 so I can get back to it (again).