02 December 2014

Messanges Rouge Chinon Récolte 2013



This was, to my recollection, my first encounter with Chinon. It's made from 100% Cabernet Franc, which is such a strange grape to me, because it's so like Cabernet Sauvignon and yet so not.

As soon as I poured a taste I was amazed. It was the lightest red I have ever seen, like the clearest garnet. It felt airy as I swirled it around the glass. I almost expected it to fizz up or float away.

It had scents of throat lozenge and cherry candy, fruit cake, and the tiniest hint of spice. None were overpowering, but worked in harmony together. I have to say it was one of the most enticing noses I've ever encountered.

The taste was bursting with cherries too, fresh, ripe cherries. The mouthfeel was soft, inviting, pillowy. I don't know that I've ever had a wine quite like it, but I can't wait to have one again. An amazing selection from my wine club. Yum!