24 December 2014

2014: The Year I...Got Disciplined

2014 was a big year for me writing-wise, as it marked the turning point in my dedication to it. The past several years it's been more of a hobby for me - a thing I do when I have free time.

This year, starting around summer, I made a conscious decision that This Was It. I was going to write every single day and keep moving forward on my projects.

That commitment required sacrifice. I've pretty much stopped playing video games altogether, which I miss terribly. And I only allow myself one hour of television per night (can't give up Downton Abbey, after all). And I only go to the gym for 90 minutes a day in the morning, so I can sleep in a little longer, which means I can stay up later writing.

You know what, though? The commitment has paid off. I finished a novel and started querying it. I finished 75% of a first draft of a second novel before realizing it was fundamentally flawed and had to start over from scratch, but I can apply what I learned from that first draft and I can already feel it's going to be way better. And I did NaNoWriMo and got most of a third novel drafted. It's still got a ways to go before it's finished and it'll need a ton of revision, but it's pretty good.

This month I haven't written every day, because Day Job kind of murdered me for a couple weeks with late nights and overnight shifts, but I'm getting back into the swing of it now. And it feels soooo good!

Even though I still have LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 staring at me, waiting to be played.