23 December 2014

2014: The Year I...Drank First Growth Bordeaux

As there's not many days left in 2014, I thought it was high time to review the year that was.

There have been lots of significant events for me this year, both good and bad, but I thought I'd start off with a fun one:

My first tasting of First Growth (Premier Grand Cru) Bordeaux, when I got to taste Chateau Margaux 1983 back in March.

What an amazing wine that was. I only got a taste - an ounce or two - but I got so much out of that pour. I could have kept on smelling its nose for hours before even taking a sip.

To this day I still recall the feeling that I was drinking the soil of France, it was that earthy, and oh so complex. Truly amazing! And I got to keep the bottle, and now it sits on my little table of decorations. Whatever you call those.

So, 2014 was my first taste of First Growth. One down, four to go: Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Chateau Latour, Chateau Haut-Brion, and Chateau Mouton-Rothschild.

Maybe one day.