07 November 2014

NaNoWriMo Day 6

Yesterday was day six of NaNoWriMo and I'm still on-target. My hope is to get ahead of the curve a little bit in the coming days, so as to make up for the days next week when I might be working 16-18 hours a day and unable to write. Or for Saturday the 15th when I have all-day game day (and night!) with friends.

My sleep has definitely taken a hit, though thankfully not a big one, since starting NaNoWriMo. I normally aim to be in-bed and ready to sleep between 8:00 and 9:00 PM, but since NaNo began it's been more like 10:00 most nights. Since I get up at 4:30 (or, more realistically, 4:45) that's not nearly as much sleep as I like. By nature I'm kind of an 8-9 hours a night person.

Anyway, some lost sleep is worth it for a new novel. For the most part I'm still very excited about where my novel is heading and the opportunities I am having to push my characters in new directions. The characters themselves are borrowed from earlier work and it's great to put them in a new context and see how they grow.

Also, I have a lot less brainpower for this blog. But I did (finally) finish the giant thriller I was reading, which took ten days. That's kind of a long time for me. But I'm starting Jandy Nelson's The Sky Is Everywhere and that should go a lot quicker, if my experience with I'll Give You The Sun is anything to go by.