26 November 2014

NaNoWriMo Day 26

It's Day 26 of NaNoWriMo, and last night a little after 10:00 I hit my 50,000 word mark, which means I WON.

The story is far from over, though. I'm more than halfway done, and I expect to top out at about 80,000 words. The second half is coming together less organically than the first half, but that's often the case for me. I think it'll pick up steam and get stronger as it goes. And revising will be fun.

My goal is to hit The End by December 15. That will give me a few extra days, since work gets crazy for me around Thanksgiving. But if I keep up writing 2,000 words a day I will hit the end before I know it!

The last time I tried NaNo was 2009 - five years ago! I've developed a lot more discipline since then, if nothing else. I like to think I've become a better writer, too. But more than anything, learning to let go of perfection and just write has been the biggest gift that NaNoWriMo has given me. It doesn't have to be brilliant yet - it just has to be on the page.

I am looking forward to finishing and seeing where this story goes.