02 November 2014

NaNoWriMo Day 1

So technically it's Day 2, but I'm recounting my Day 1 of yesterday because I would rather work on NaNoWriMo than agonize over a blog post.

I got off to a good start yesterday, shutting myself in the Sensory Deprivation Closet and cranking out my first day's words.

I thought it would be interesting to consider my writing aids. Namely, tea. Well, tea and music.

Tea helps me write. I used to drink it while writing but now, since I write in a darkened closet, I have my tea before I write. Since I usually write in the evenings, that means green or white tea usually.

Certain teas put me in certain moods. Or, perhaps, I associate certain teas with certain stories.

For Stand and Deliver, the work-in-progress I have on hold while I do NaNoWriMo, I tended toward Harney & Sons' Love Life tea, a blend of Japanese sencha, dried strawberries, coconut, and popped rice.

For With Random Precision, my NaNo novel, Steven Smith's Jasmine Silver Tip is the thing. The aromas just transport me straight into the story. Probably because the main character has jasmine shrubs outside his house.

Well, that's it for now. I will talk about music some other time.