17 November 2014

Aviary Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2011


This was the second bottle in the pair of Cabernets I received last month from my wine club, and was by far my preferred of the two.

It had a dark, inky color and a heavy body, much more so than the Koyle. It had a meaty, smoky nose with leather and coffee notes to it. Powerful and potent.

The nose belied the amount of fruit in the taste. It wasn't a fruit bomb, not by a long shot, but it did have voluptuous dark fruits to it, with a backbone of cedar planks. That bit of woodsy flavor tied the wine together.

That being said, it was still overly tannic for my tastes, and very, very young. It would probably improve with age. For all its youth, though, I still enjoyed it more than the Koyle. So I guess I'm a California Cab drinker through and through.

But I'm always eager to try new things.

---

In other news, NaNoWriMo continues to consume my time, and with a couple of loooooong days at work last week and my sleeping a lot this past weekend, I've missed some days on the blog. I have not, however, missed my writing goals. So...yea me!