12 October 2014

Playing Catch-Up

I've had a tremendous backlog of books and bottles, so instead of my every-other day approach (or every third-day) I've been posting a book or a bottle every day. I'm down to 6 now, which will carry me through the rest of this week, but I like to take it easy on Sundays.

Instead, I'm drinking some Bai Hao Oolong (several steepings of it, in fact) and enjoying Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. This book has been on my radar for a long time, but I finally have the chance to actually read it. Yea.

After that, Meg Wolitzer's Belzhar. And then who knows what the library will have in store for me after.

Meanwhile, I'm focused on writing at least 5000 words a week on my new novel, and it's taking shape - though, unsurprisingly, a different shape than I had in mind when I started out. There's some perfectly crappy bits in there, and some really nice ones, too. I hope the nice bits make it through edits. I know, I know, kill your babies/darlings. But sometimes I want them to survive!

I also have neglected my just-for-me all-crap story while I was on vacation, so I should definitely update it this Tuesday. I try to do a chapter every Tuesday, just to write something that's totally awful and only for me. It makes me feel good. I need that sometimes, especially the days when I think everything I make is crap!

Well, enough banter I guess. I think I'm having wine with friends tonight. We'll see.