26 October 2014

Palazzo Della Torre 2008


This bottle was a gift. It was the giver’s go-to wine for any night of the week. After tasting it, I can see why.

The wine was a beautiful blood-red color. It had a nose full of herbal, minty notes, but there was something else there, too. Almost chocolatey.

It had a clean, light mouthfeel, with a bit of crispness to it. All of which belied its robust taste.

It was utterly dark and smoky on my palate. It reminded me of applewood-smoked meats. There was spice to it, too. My mind went to paprika.

At first I couldn’t detect any fruit at all. But then hints of raisin began to shine through.


The tannins were in perfect harmony with the acidity, the lightness of the body in stark contrast to the dark flavors. This was an intense, complex wine. I was truly surprised. And I want more!