13 September 2014

Gundlach Bundschu Tasting

This past week I got to attend a tasting of wines from Gundlach Bundschu, hosted by Jeff Bundschu and featuring 6 wines from 2011 and 2012.

First of all, Jeff Bundschu was delightful, just a really awesome guy to meet and very knowledgeable (of course) but very personable and fun as well.

The tasting started with the pre-tasting wine, 2012 Gewurztraminer. It was yummy, floral, with quality closer to a dry Riesling than a sweet one. It had 0% residual sugar and came from 40-year-old vines.

2012 Chardonnay: It was heady, with lots of minerality and sharp acidity. I got some sweeter notes, like raisins and dried fruits. It was aged in half new and half neutral French oak. Not over-extracted, but not austere like a Burgundian Chardonnay. Very nice.

2012 Pinot Noir: Oaky, mellow and dry, with a light body and herbal notes. Very Old World in style. Opened up nicely to reveal red fruits.

2011 Mountain Cuvee: My favorite of the night. Bursting with raspberry and cherry flavors, and a nose that made me think of candied fruit peels. It had great structure.

2011 Merlot: I think my glass might have had a little soap left in it or something, because the wine smelled soapy to me at first, and that threw me off a little. It was dry, earthy, and leaned a little too heavily on the tannins for my taste. It was very Bordeaux-like, and I bet it would age well.

2011 Cabernet Sauvignon: Unusually sweet nose for a Cabernet. It had nice black fruits. It made me think of blackcurrant jam like my aunt makes. Lean, not heavy. It was very nice.

I loved my Gundlach Bundschu tasting and can't wait to try more (and to drink the bottles I went home with!)