25 August 2014

Paul Pernot et Ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet Chardonnay 2010


I’d been holding onto this bottle for several years. It’s from one of my favorite producers in Burgundy - though granted, I’ve not had the chance to experience many. I’ll definitely be working to remedy that.

The wine was a nice gold color, with a minerally nose. After struggling for some time to identify what else I was smelling, I consulted my handy Flavor Wheel (yes, such a thing exists), and decided I was smelling cedar, too.


I’ve written about the beautiful butteriness of white Burgundy before, and this bottle was no exception. There were hints of apricot, but the strongest note was that buttery, oaky goodness. It was round, balanced, and delightful. I shared it with great friends and enjoyed some delicious cheeses with it. And then we followed it up with a bottle of Tor Beckstoffer To Kalon 2011.