11 August 2014

Honoro Vera Garnacha

I was out of wine and wanted a budget bottle, so I picked this one up at the grocery store for less than $10.

Garnacha (Grenache outside of Spain) was the first wine I truly fell in love with.  My first experience was with Zeta Garnacha, the 2006 bottling if memory serves.  I’ve not seen Zeta at any of my wine stores ever since The Wine Cellar closed, but I still remember it fondly as the first time I realized what red wine could be.

Anyway, Honoro Vera’s Garnacha was a deep ruby color, with hints of smoky tobacco.  The nose was tight and closed, and to be honest, I had a hard time picking up many other scents.

The tannins were green, and were a little too strong, overwhelming the subtle red currant fruit in the background.  The wine was also a little too acidic for my tastes.

I thought perhaps aeration might improve it, but it never really got any better, it just got looser.


All in all, not my favorite Garnacha.