08 August 2014

Chateau les Marias 2011


This was a red wine from my wine club, and it was, as you can tell by the name, a Bordeaux.  Chateau les Marias is a Merlot-based red, and while I don’t normally seek out Merlot, I do enjoy a good bottle when I come across one.

Chateau les Marias was enjoyable.  It had a deep, ruby red color, with scents of loam, oak, leather, and pipe tobacco.  One of the things that’s so enjoyable about Bordeaux wines is the complex noses with scents that I usually don’t encounter anywhere else.  Oak and fruit tend to dominate most of the new world wines I drink, at least in scent.  

While the scent was all Bordeaux, the taste actually leaned toward a more American style, with much more fruit than I was expecting.  That’s not to say it wasn’t earthy, as well, but it was much less soily than other Bordeauxs I’ve experienced.  I don’t know if that’s because of the Merlot, the terroir, or simply my taste buds on the day I tasted it.

Regardless, it was a lovely, enjoyable, and affordable bottle of red Bordeaux.