09 July 2014

Thoughts on thoughts

This past weekend I watched The Iron Lady.  It's something I'd meant to watch for a while, but the opportunity finally presented itself.

It was a pretty good movie.  One of the most interesting and powerful scenes, to me, was when Margaret Thatcher, played by Meryl Streep, was seeing her doctor, who was concerned how she was feeling following her husband's death.  She refused to talk about her feelings, though.  Instead, she said this:

Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny. What we think, we become. My father always said that. And I think I am fine.

That's pretty deep.  It's something I've felt for a long time: that your thoughts can change and shape your reality.  Not to say you can, say, move mountains.  But how you think can affect your outlook on life.  If you focus on the positive, you see the positive around you.

As someone who's struggled with depression in the past, this was an especially poignant reminder to me of the power we have to direct our own thoughts.  Maybe we don't feel great.  But if we think great, sometimes, we can turn that feeling around.