07 July 2014

Ravenswood Petite Sirah 2012

I decided to try something new, something at a price point less than $10, and Ravenswood Petite Sirah piqued my interest because it’s such an unusual grape to find in a single-varietal bottling.

The wine was tight and minty, almost cooling to the tongue.  Its acidity was pretty sharp at the beginning.  I decided to let it breathe plenty as I enjoyed it with my dinner.

Even as it developed, the tannins stayed pretty green.  It improved a bit, but still seemed awfully sharp.  I’m going to revisit it 24 hours later (recorked) and see if it’s better, worse, or the same.


Followup: It did get better after 24 hours, and after 48 hours (again recorked) and drunk out of a Pinot Noir glass it was actually pretty enjoyable.  I may get another bottle and try decanting it.