22 July 2014

Mystery? Thriller? Or something else?

So, here's my conundrum: how to you categorize a book where the main thrust is that someone is trying to kill the main character?  This is not a single, grand attempt, but rather a series of attempted murders.  So is it a murder mystery, if there's never any actual murder?  Is it a thriller, without a ticking clock?

This is something I'm struggling with as I write, because I would like to see other titles that have tackled this problem, but I don't know how to find them.  The only one I can think of that's a little bit close is Lynne Truss's With One Lousy Free Packet of Seed, but that's a comic novel, and while my story will have an element of comedy to it, I don't necessarily want that to be the driving force.

Obviously, my reading in the mystery genre as a whole needs to step up.  I already have a Holmes on the Range novel that my friend lent me, plus I read The Silkworm just this past week (more on that when the blog catches up to my reviews!), and I've got a list of books to check out:

The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag
Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway by Sara Gran
Visitation Street by Ivy Pochoda
The Cove by Catherine Coulter
The Maze by Catherine Coulter
The Pelican Brief by John Grisham
The Street Lawyer by John Grisham

As I look at this list, it seems to be mostly thrillers, so maybe that's what I need. On the other hand, I'm still not sure what I need, so maybe I need more pure mystery! I'll have to see what I can find.

Meanwhile, I'm actively looking for suggestions, so if anyone comes across this and has something to contribute, please do so!