19 July 2014

Donnie Darko

Last night I watched Donnie Darko for the first time.  I know, I know.  Why hadn't I seen it yet?  Well, I was 17 when it came out and it wasn't a huge release for me (I'm pretty sure I was waiting for the next Lord of the Rings movie for most of 2001).  I didn't really hear much about it until I was in college, and then it was from my friends who were into more...umm...experimental things, not just film.

Anyway, I finally got around to it, and to my great surprise, I actually rather liked it!  It was kind of surprising to see some of the faces in it, like Seth Rogen and Mary McDonnell, but they all - especially Mary McDonnell - played their roles well.

I was expecting the film to be a bit more of a mind[expletive removed] than it was.  Maybe because I'm such a sci-fi nerd, or maybe because we're living in a post-LOST viewership, I had no problem following the film.

I thought the ending was really nice.  I will avoid saying much, to avoid spoilers, but it had some of the most poignant silent acting I've seen in a long while.

I'm glad Donnie Darko finally came up in my Netflix queue.  Up next is more of the late, great Richard Griffiths in Pie in the Sky, which is a truly awesome show.  Though it does make me hungry...