30 July 2014

Cynicism

I was listening to one of my favorite speakers today, and he had a very good point to make about cynicism.  When you're in the shit (as he so awesomely put it), it's very easy to give in to negativity and to think that things are not going to get any better.  But it's important to fight that instinct and not only hope for, but work for, the best.

It may seem like a platitude to say that our thoughts can affect the world around us, but that's an oversimplification.  How we think about things affects how we act about things, and our actions do shape our world.

So, next time I am feeling cynical, I am going to remind myself to take positive action.

J. Michael Straczynski, one of my favorite writers, has a delightful phrase, coined during the run of his show Babylon 5:

Faith manages.

I am going to try and let it, and stop worrying so much.