03 May 2014

Casa Silva Los Lingues Vineyard Carmenere 2012



What an interesting wine.  The Casa Silva Carmenere came from the same Wine Club batch as the Graffito Malbec, and it is very similar and yet very different.

My previous experiences with Carmenere have been limited, but the few I have encountered have been bold and tannic, with plenty of oak to supplement the fruit.  Whether that is typical or not, I haven’t yet gained the breadth of experience to tell.

What I can say is that the Casa Silva bucked that trend.  It was a deep crimson color with a fine heft to its body, and scents of sour cherry and bay leaf on the nose.

The taste was what surprised me.  It was fruity, jammy even, and smooth.  Surprisingly smooth.  Time on the palate revealed a surprising depth to it, gradually giving way to extremely mild tannins on the backend.

At first, I didn’t know what to make of the wine.  It was so very different.  And yet, it was pleasant.  It made an excellent companion to the Graffito, which defied my expectations as well.


Between the Casa Silva and the Graffito, my interest in South American wines has been renewed.  I need to keep my eyes peeled for more off-the-beaten-path wineries and explore their offerings.  There are no doubt more exciting, genre-defying bottles out there to enjoy.

---

Books: Finished Why Buildings Fall Down and The Covenant of Primus.  Next up is The Kill Order.

Bottles: Nothing since my last.

Writing: Passed the 20% mark!  Hooray!

Guitar: Looking at some Frank Zappa.