12 May 2014

Bodegas Ordonez Tineta Avante Ribera del Duero Tempranillo 2011

The newest wine from my wine club was this delightful Spanish Tempranillo.  I love Spanish wines but haven't had much opportunity to explore them.  I rarely find much variety at restaurants and grocery stores, and even wine stores can have limited selections at times.  Thankfully, there are wine club offerings like this that remind me to try harder, dig deeper, and grab what interesting finds I can!

This wine was inky purple, with a surprisingly heavy body.

The nose was full of scents of wood, loam, and copper.  It was super earthy.  I just had the one bottle and drank it soon after getting it, but I wonder what it would have been like five years from now.


The taste of ripe cherry hit my palate first.  Tart currant followed on its heels.  That earthiness in the nose didn't seem to have much play on the tongue, and the acidity of the fruits cut through the tannins.  The finish was pretty oaky, but not particularly memorable.  Again, though, I think it would have been interesting in a few years.

Avante was a nice wine and good for a table drink.  It reminded me of the potential of Spanish wines.  But I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon.  There are so many other great Spanish wines that I have liked more, and I am eager to experience more like those.

---

Books: Still on The Kill Order.  Nearing the end.

Bottles: Nothing new to report.

Writing: 30%!  Hooray!

Guitar: Zappa and Spinal Tap.