04 April 2014

1983 Chateau Margaux

Oh. My. God. 

So, 360 Bistro allows corkage, and there was a small group dining a few tables away from us who brought four (!) bottles of first-growth Bordeaux of various vintages to their dinner.  They were kind enough to share tastes with Justin, 360 Bistro’s Sommelier.  Justin was, in turn, kind enough to share a taste with me and my friends.  We had enjoyed conversation about our wine passions while tasting Tor’s Beckstoffer To Kalon.

The Margaux had been open for several hours.  Justin poured it into the glass through a cheese cloth, it had so much sediment - though I told him, point blank, “I will drink anything that comes out of that bottle.”

It smelled like a farm.  The most delicious farm ever.  So much oak, so much earth.  It was like stepping into a French vineyard.  At least, my dream version of a French vineyard.  I’ve never been, but I hope to make it some day.

I sniffed, and sniffed, and sniffed.  We passed the glass around, drinking in the nose.  It was hard to take that sip - I didn’t want the wine to be gone - but I did.

I didn’t want to swallow, just keep it on my tongue forever.

Licorice, tobacco, earth - so many flavors I couldn’t track them all.  And yet, there was fruit, lurking in the shadows.  It made me think of figs - forceful, robust, but juicy and a little bit sweet, too.

It transported me.  We took turns taking the smallest sips we could, until it was all gone.

This was my first-ever sample of first growth Bordeaux, as well as my first taste of a wine that was older than I am - I was born in 1984.

To paraphrase Tolkien:

The world is changed.
I feel it in the water.
I feel it in the earth.
I smell it in the air.

Spoken by Galadriel in the films, though taken from something Treebeard said in the book of The Return of the King.  It’s the first thing that came to mind after I tasted the wine.


I rarely post pictures of myself, but here you can see how happy I am, with the bottle.


Yes, I do look demented.  That's how amazing it was.

---

Books: Finished Dave Cullen's Columbine and starting on The Scorch Trials.

Bottles: Graffito, an Argentine malbec.

Writing: Finished the paper edit!  Time to get typing!

Guitar: More "Comfortably Numb."