27 November 2013

Lexicon by Max Barry

What a read!  After finishing Dan Brown's Inferno, I dove straight into Max Barry's Lexicon.  It's the most fun I've had reading a book in quite a while.

From the blurb for Lexicon, I have to admit, I had imagined something radically different that what I got.  I suppose I was expecting something like Lev Grossman's The Magicians.  After all, it tells the story of Emily Ruff, a 16-year-old admitted to a school for "poets" - people who use words as weapons, to persuade or control people.  Sounds kind of like magic, right?

Imagine my surprise when I realized the book was in fact a thriller.  Not only that, it also told the parallel story of Wil Parke, who may or may not be uniquely immune to Poets.

I had a really hard time putting the book down.  I actually stayed up way too late several nights reading, only to have to give up mid-chapter when I got too sleepy to make sense of what I was reading.  And it is dense reading: if you're not paying attention, you'll miss things.  Max Barry showed a unique grasp of his craft, I thought; the language in the book was outstanding.

Lexicon was the most pleasant surprise I've gotten in quite a while.  It was thought-provoking,  compelling, and yet totally whimsical at times.  I can't wait for the next surprise.

---

Books: Lexicon.  Taking a break from new stuff to do a re-read of Harry Potter this December in lieu of my usual Lord of the Rings annual reading.

Bottles: Got some new stuff from wine club but forgot to take notes.  Blurgh.

Writing: Nearing the 50% mark again.  Yea!

Guitar: "Echoes" still.

Happy Thanksgiving!