22 March 2013

Back from Hiatus

Well, it's been quite a while since I posted...several months, in fact.  I have been putting pretty much all my energy into working on Into the Shining Sun, and it has paid off, because it is done, proofread, and I'm now working on the long, arduous process of trying to get it out there.  For now I'm working on queries to agencies and hope to have my first letter ready to send by next week or the week after.

I've read a lot of books and had quite a bit of wine in the interim.  I'll try to run down what all I've enjoyed, or at least can remember.

Books:
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin
A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin
(Yes, I did watch the HBO series as well...though I am a year behind since I don't have HBO and have to wait for it on Bluray)
Why is the Penis Shaped Like That: And Other Reflections on Being Human by Jesse Bering (which was way more hilarious even than it sounds)
The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - yes, December came and went, and with it my annual reading of them.  And it was good, as always.
Star Trek: Destiny omnibus by David Mack (because sometimes I read silly tie-in novels, and that one was fun)
Echoes of All Our Conversations - which is a collection of interviews conducted with the cast and crew of Babylon 5.  It's a 6 and a half volume series and I've gotten through I think volume 3.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I feel like I'm missing some...perhaps they will occur to me at a later date.

Meanwhile, the last two things I read: C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) and John Scalzi's Redshirts are still in recent memory and I will be sharing my thoughts on them soon.

On to the wine...several exciting bottles have occurred, several of which, sadly, I failed to even record - mostly Spanish and French bottles which I could not for the life of me remember the name of, and which were enjoyed at restaurants in which I would have felt awkward making notes.

But here we go...what I do remember.

K Vintners Syrah "The Deal" 2009
Continuum 2008 (750mL and, at a later and even more special occasion, 1.5L magnum!)
Kosta Browne 2010 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (turns out I have some old notes on my phone, so I will share them soon as well)
Domaine de la Vieux Telegraph La Crau [red] 2009
Domaine de la Vieux Telegraph La Crau [red] 2010
Chappellet Pritchard Hill Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Orin Swift Palermo 2010 (I think...)

I know there were others, but those are the ones that stand out.

Now that I have a little more time for blogging I hope to get back to regular posting.  I was surprised to find that actual humans seem to have been reading my blog, or at least accidentally clicking on the link for it.  I hope they have enjoyed it.

---

Books: Reading The Wilderness Warrior by Douglas Brinkley.
Bottles: Drank some Columbia Crest 2010 Cabernet, which I was supposed to use for braised short ribs before I accidentally opened it...
Writing: Working on query letters for agencies, and meanwhile doing some note-taking and research (and brainstorming) on my next project.
Guitar: Quite a lot has gone on in this department.  I recently got a Whammy pedal, so right now I'm working on "The Blue" from On an Island.  I also want to tackle "Marooned" from The Division Bell soon.