06 July 2012

La Gareta Cabernet Franc 2009 - Colli Berici, Italy


This is the first pure Cabernet Franc I have tried.  It was interesting to see the difference between it and Cabernet Sauvignon, although I don’t know if my wine vocabulary is developed enough to quantify it.
The wine had a beautiful plum color in the glass, with a medium body.  Its nose had a strong scent of walnut tree, an unusual scent I’ve encountered only once before, in a bottle of Opus One.  Its taste revealed plenty of walnut, too, but also a smokiness that made me feel it might go well with barbecue.
It was smooth and round on the tongue, but the finish was rather too strong and bitter for my taste.  Perhaps a bit more age would have mellowed it out.
All in all, it was a fun experience.  I received a single bottle from my wine club membership at The Cellar Rat, so I don’t know how likely I am to get more of it, nor do I know the exact price, though I suspect it’s in the $10-$15 range.

---

Books: Just finished reading A Game of Thrones.  Probably not going to review it - I feel there's not much to say at this point that hasn't been said, but hopefully after I've finished the other four available, I might have something worth saying.

Bottles: The above, plus a few sort of unmemorable bottles.

Writing: Just having a little fun right now, thinking about new stories and new ideas.  Work resumes 1 August!

Guitar: Doing some practice on my slide, trying to get a little better at "High Hopes."