04 April 2012

Hope: A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander

Hope: A Tragedy was...well...I suppose, in the end, it was a tragedy.  I'd read a review of the book which led me to believe its sense of dark humor might be right up my alley...but, alas, it was not.

That's not to say it was a badly written book.  The characters were interesting, well-fleshed-out, and real.  I just didn't like them.  Any of them.  Perhaps that was the point.  But I also didn't like the plot that much.

In fact, to be honest, I didn't really like much about the book at all.  It seemed to move from one depressing episode to another, all the while exploring the ineptitude and inaction of the main character who was imminently capable of dealing with his problems, but simply didn't.

I really wanted to like the book.  I tried.  I made it all the way through it.  But in the end, when things were beginning to look up and I thought, "Hey, this wasn't so bad," it turns out I had forgotten the title of the book.  Or rather its subtitle: A Tragedy.

I don't know what made me expect a happy ending.  Or at least a satisfying one.  But I got neither.  Instead I was left with the futility of life.

I read Hope: A Tragedy because I felt the need for a break from reading Gravity's Rainbow.  Well, it did not help.  I didn't particularly like Hope: A Tragedy, and it turns out I don't really like Gravity's Rainbow either.  But the latter is 800 pages long.  At page 150 I've decided I'm not going to waste valuable reading time on something I really, really don't like.

So, onward to new horizons, and new books!

---

Books: Going to start on Lev Grossman's The Magicians tomorrow, I think.  Hopefully it will be good!  I can't take a third book in a row that I don't like!

Bottles: Nothing lately.

Writing: 3 chapters done so far.  I feel like I'm picking up steam.

Guitar: Going further on the Carcassi in E; also looking at a riff from Foo Fighters' "Let it Die."