04 March 2012

Indivisible by Two: Lives of Extraordinary Twins by Nancy L Segal


Indivisible by Two was another book I picked up to further my research into the relationships of siblings and especially twins.  It focused on stories of twins (as well as one set of triplets and one set of quadruplets) who experienced unique life events.  Stories ranged from twins raised apart, to twins who were similar yet different (for example, identical twin girls, one of whom was transgender and became a male), to a twin who lost her sister in the World Trade Center attacks, to a twin surrogating for her infertile sister.  That’s just scratching the surface.

I don’t suppose I have too much to say on the book; it was at its heart a scientific, though quite riveting and emotional, book about twins.  However, I thought it would be fun to share some of the insights I gained.

-Since identical twins are able to see “themselves” in their twin, they can observe their twin’s behavior and its effects, and learn from their twin’s mistakes without making the same choices themselves.

-Twins are much more observant of the differences between themselves than the average person, perhaps as a result of their own desire to differentiate themselves and establish their individuality.

-Our genes affect more than I had ever believed possible, including the most minor of mannerisms.  For example, one pair of twins that were raised apart for 30 or so years, not knowing they were twins, met and discovered they both held their drinks in the same peculiar way, with the pinky finger underneath the drink.

That was just a bit of what I gleaned from the book.  It was an illuminating read and I am looking forward to reading Nancy Segal’s other book on twins, Entwined Lives, next.

---

Books: Finished Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error.  Going to catch up on some of my periodicals.

Bottles: Enjoyed some of Orin Swift's 2009 The Prisoner, as well as some Domaine Pichot Vouvray last night at a friend's housewarming party.  Both have been reviewed elsewhere...I think.

Writing: About 75% done with my reread.  On the whole I can see the second half is in much worse shape than the first half - which is a reversal of how I felt last time, if memory serves...

Guitar: Shine On!