28 February 2012

The Sibling Effect: What the Bonds Among Brothers and Sisters Reveal About Us by Jeffrey Kluger


The Sibling Effect was a book I picked up based purely on its title, as I thought it would be useful research for Into the Shining Sun.  Though it ended up having only a few segments about identical twins, it had a wealth of valuable insights on siblings in general, ones I found useful not only for ITSS but also for life in general.

Some things that the book discussed I was aware of already, either from my own observations or from things I’ve heard from family; others, especially the research being done on only children, came as something of a surprise to me, as it was so contrary to the prevailing prejudices about only children - the stereotype of the spoiled only child is a very strong cultural myth, one which I have on occasion subscribed to.  The Sibling Effect presented a large body of evidence that shows that there are plenty of benefits to being an only child, and that most of the stereotype is, in fact, invalid.

The Sibling Effect was a great read, both enjoyable and informative, and very useful for my writing.

---

Books: Nearly done with Being Wrong, after which I will take a break from books to catch up on my periodicals.

Bottles: Had a nice bottle of Turley Duarte 1999 at Aureole in Las Vegas, which was exquisite.

Writing: Half-done with my re-read.

Guitar: Working on the second and third guitar solos in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" right now, plus many different exercises.