20 February 2012

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline


Oh.  My.  God.  This book was one of the most fun reads I have ever had.  It was, as the reviews state and I agree wholeheartedly with, a TOTAL NERDGASM.

Its amazing plot flew from pop culture reference to pop culture reference, touching music, movies, books, and most especially video games.  It took what could have been the ultimate act of fan-fiction and infused it with originality, heart, and enough loving satire that it transcended it and became something wholly original and unique: the product of an author lovingly devoted to what he was writing about.

More than that, though, it was an exciting vision of the future.  Perhaps the most unique thing, to me, was his vision of habitation in the year 2044: that most people lived in “Stacks,” trailers stacked tens of units high on the outskirts of the former major urban areas.  That was just the most unique, to me, though; the entire vision was both absorbing and alarming, enviable and pitiable.  That the world could become so horrible that people simply escaped into the ultimate virtual reality is understandable, and perhaps pricks our own consciences about where our planet is headed in real life.

I just cannot reiterate how much I enjoyed Ready Player One.  It’s probably the best book I’ve read in the last year, maybe longer.  I can’t wait to read it again.

---

Books: Reading Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error.  It's pretty cool.

Bottles: Had three (!) bottles of Francesco Rinaldi & Figli 2006 "Le Brunate" Barolo d'Alba at a restaurant called d.vino in Las Vegas.  It was great.  Also had a bottles of 2007 Ramey Claret.  Also divine.

Writing: Working through my re-read.

Guitar: Being in Las Vegas, I haven't gotten to practice much.