01 February 2012

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris


My first David Sedaris read was his Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, so I kind of knew what I was getting into: the sardonic style, the subtle and often ridiculous humor.  I got all that and more in Dress, which contained not malign fairy-tales but rather essays about Sedaris’s own life.
The book jumped all over his life, telling stories of his youth, his adulthood, and, most especially, his family.  One particular favorite part of mine was when he related something his sister told him, which he promised never to write about...and then of course wrote about.
Hilarious as the essays were, Sedaris’s humor does have a certain underlying darkness to it: so many of the stories turned out with, if not a bad ending, certainly an unpleasant one.  As someone who has always been something of a sap for happy endings, I found my expectations repeatedly dashed, as lessons failed to be learned, hugs failed to be given, words went unsaid.  But then, that’s what makes it funny.
I first became aware of David Sedaris after reading a review of one of his books (it might have even been this one) which mentioned he was brother of Amy Sedaris, an actress and comedienne who I enjoy immensely.  Though his style is different, he shares her keen wit.  I’ve heard he and Amy actually read the audio versions of his books together, something I would very much like to check out.

---

Books: Reading The Family by Jeff Sharlett.

Bottles: Tried a new table wine, it's okay, it's a $10 bottle of Cotes-du-Rhone.

Guitar: Got my guitar back, yea!  But no new tremolo bridge yet - they have to order one.  I have a bunch of new exercises to work on.

Writing: It is about to begin!