02 January 2012

Savigny-les-Beaune Les Montchenevoy Patrick Javillier-Guyot 2002

I enjoyed a bottle of Savigny-les-Beaune Les Montchenevoy Patrick Javillier-Guyot 2002 at a very good restaurant called The Oakroom in Louisville, Kentucky.  It was the first of three bottles that evening, and the only white.

I have a soft spot for white Burgundy, and I thoroughly enjoyed this bottle.  It had a heady nose of honey and surprising notes of mint.  On the tongue, it displayed the buttery feel I have come to know and love from good white Burgundies, with smooth fruits that evolved through sweet and spice into a lingering finish with a strong note of cinnamon.

I shared the bottle with quite a few people, as it turns out - there were 12 of us - os we all got rather less than a full glass, but it was an enjoyable bottle, and I was glad to share it.  It complemented the cheese plate we had quite well, though I was sadly unable to make individual notes on the cheeses.

The dinner was so absorbing that I forgot to record the second bottle - though if memory serves it was a Washington Syrah - but I definitely recorded the last bottle of the evening, 1999 Opus One.  My tasting of that will follow soon.

---

Books: Read A Lion Among Men, reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

Bottles: Bought some recently but haven't drank it.  One prize is a bottle of K Vintners Ovide-en-Cerise 2009.

Writing: Still on break from Into the Shining Sun and getting some great feedback from the people who read the draft.

Guitar: Started looking at "A Pocketful of Stones."