05 December 2011

Vietti Barbere d'Asti 2009 Tre Vigne


I enjoyed the Vietti Barbera d’Asti 2009 in the same meal as the Lagaria Pinot Grigio Delle Venezia 2010, at Tannin Wine Bar in Kansas City.  This one I shared as a bottle with several friends, and we all enjoyed it.  I’ve been trying to explore the wines of Piedmont lately, so the chance to enjoy this well-priced bottle was too good to pass up.
The wine was a dark, inky ruby color.  It displayed a heady nose of oak and spice, a potent smell I’ve come to associate with most Italian wines.  My vocabulary does not seem to be developed enough to explain the differences I felt between its nose and that of, say, a French or Californian red.
The wine was youthful without being overwhelming, full of dark fruits.  Truth be told I was expecting something far more tannic, but it felt relatively balanced, with a lingering dryness on the finish.  It was enjoyable with the risotto, though it came too late to have with the cheese.  Still, it held up well to the risotto, and would have been pleasant on its own as well, I think.


---
Books: Reading On Grief and Grieving for research for Into the Shining Sun.
Bottles: Just Alamos Malbec lately.
Writing: Finished Chapter Twenty!  Woo!  Only two chapters and an epilogue left to go.  I plan to finish it tomorrow, then make a few tweaks before calling it a draft.  Also been ruminating on a short story idea that might take place in Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos, in a roundabout way.
Guitar: Sadly haven’t played as much as I wanted this week since some work came up with unusual hours.  Also dedicated a lot of potential practicing time to writing.