16 December 2011

Bossypants by Tina Fey


I have been fond of Tina Fey since I first saw her as the new co-anchor of Weekend Update on SNL.   I followed her to 30 Rock with great pleasure, and when I read that she had written a book I eagerly awaited it.
Bossypants is one of the funniest reads I have had in a long time, as well as one of the breeziest - I made my way through it in only two days without ever feeling like I was spending an inordinate amount of time reading.
While at first glance it appears to style itself as a book about work - about being the boss - it was instead more like a trip inside Tina Fey's brain, in which I as a reader got to glimpse her wit and humor unfiltered.
A loosely arranged collection of musings, rants, and reminiscences, at times the book felt almost as if you were just having a conversation with Tina - or would it be Mrs. Fey? While there were chapters about "being a boss" and "being a working mom" - the more interesting chapters, to me, were those in which the author simply reflected on life. I especially enjoyed her recollections of her parents,most notably her accounts of people meeting her father, Don Fey.
Bossypants was, at its heart, an extremely fun read, and it made a nice breather after some of the heavier stuff I’ve been reading for research.

---

Books: Still on Lord of the Rings.

Bottles: Nothing new.

Writing: Nothing new.  Still taking a break and letting people read ITSS for feedback.

Guitar: "Learn to Fly," oblique bends, "Coming Back to Life."