21 November 2011

The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft


I’ve recently become enamored of a board game called Arkham Horror, which is based on H.P. Lovecraft’s “Cthulhu Mythos.”  As such I took it upon myself to learn more about it, and as a starting point I picked Lovecraft’s seminal short story, The Call of Cthulhu.
It was actually a rather creepy read, which I thought was admirable on Lovecraft’s part, because he barely ever actually shows anything.  Instead, he manages to imbue the entire story with a sense of impending dread, culminating in an exceptionally brief account of an encounter with the titular character, told twice-removed: the narrator relates the account he heard from the sailor who actually made it to R’lyeh and saw Cthulhu.
In my research on Lovecraft it mentioned several things that became hallmarks of Lovecraft’s stories, and Call definitely managed to hit those notes: a New England setting (though not, in this case, the fictional town of Arkham); the notion of “cosmic indifference,” that the greatest forces in the cosmos are simply indifferent, perhaps even unaware, of humanity; and a rational, scientific approach, which excluded religion.
Having finished Call, I have started on The Colour Out of Space, and am enjoying that as well.
---

Books: Actually, finished Colour as well, and read Bossypants.  Catching up on magazines now as well as reading some books for research for ITSS.

Bottles: Not since I got back from Louisville, but there are several bottles I have to post reviews for.

Guitar: Working on "My Hero" and "Coming Back to Life" right now.

Writing: Well, it's slow going as I've hit a spot that needs some restructuring, but once I get back to the meat I think I'll pick up again.