06 October 2011

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain


I am pretty sure I’ve read Tom Sawyer before, but since it’s been so long it was like reading it fresh.  It took me a little while to get into it - the setting and the language are both so remote that it took a while for me to identify with the world.  That said, once I got there, I understood it perfectly.
Twain did a wonderful job in relating with utter perfection the mercurial tendencies of the young.  Tom switches gears at the drop of a hat; gets distracted, excited, and depressed in the blink of an eye.  I also particularly appreciated the passages Twain devoted to Tom wondering how people would feel if he ran away, or died - how his Aunt would cry, how the town would miss him so.  Who hasn’t had thoughts like that when they were a child?  Twain captured that though process so well.
The narrative was quite enjoyable, once I managed to sort of assimilate myself into the world Twain presents.  Imagining going on a picnic by a cave, or chasing a criminal through the streets of a small town, took no small stretch of imagination, but it was quite satisfying once I got there.
I can see why this book is considered such a classic, and why it has succeeded in enthralling both children and adults.  I found it brought me closer to my own inner child in a way that I haven’t felt for a long time.

And for those who are concerned: yes, I know that Mark Twain is the pen name of Samuel Langhorne Clemens.

---

Books: Finished Tom Sawyer and A Study in Scarlet.

Bottles: Nemea Boutari 2007, Laughing Stock Blind Trust 2009, Stoneboat Vineyards Pinotage 2008.  The first at Stepho's (Greek food), the latter two at Bistrot Bistro (French).

Writing: Finished the first half of the rewrite of Into the Shining Sun.  The word count of the first half doubled.  I hope the second half doesn't increase quite so much, but I would like it to equal or exceed the first half in length.

Guitar: Nothing doing without an instrument to work on.