12 April 2011

Masi Bonacosta Valpolicella


I enjoyed a glass of Masi Bonacosta Vapolicella with dinner at Magianno’s Italian restaurant in Orlando, Florida.  I didn’t get a chance to see the bottle so I’m not sure what year it was, but it was an enjoyable glass.

A deep garnet color, the wine displayed a heady nose with potent woodsy aromas.  Upon tasting, it revealed ripe sour fruits with a bit of pucker, a strong acidity opposed with mild tannins, and a hint of licorice on the finish.  It was an interesting style of wine, and I don’t believe I’ve ever experienced anything similar before.
I enjoyed it with chicken saltimboca; I was pleasantly surprised how the wine brought to life the meatiness of the dish and expressed itself beautifully against the caramelized onions.
All in all, an enjoyable glass, but definitely not at the top of the list.  I will, however, keep my eye peeled for more wines from Valpolicella in the future.

---

Books: Finished Deathbird Stories.  Not sure if I can blog about it, it was pretty trippy.  Reading The Mote in God's Eye.

Bottles: The above, plus a Chappellet Signature 2008.

Writing: Been kind of lazy.  Have to be more proactive!

Guitar: Working on "Everlong" and "Best of You" from Foo Fighters, plus "Brain Damage."