07 March 2011

Deneza Torrontes 2006

Torrontes is the signature white grape of Argentina, and I got to enjoy a bottle of Deneza's Torrontes from the Salta region on Superbowl Sunday (yes, I know, some time ago - I had rather too much to drink and left my wine book at my friend's house, and it took a while to retrieve it).

The wine was golden in color, with scents of dried fruit as well as grapefruit, a vibrant citrusy bouquet.  When I tasted it, I was surprised by the taste of granny smith apples, along with other tart fruit.  It had a bit of acid but mellowed on my tongue.  It was kind of medium-bodied, I suppose; I have a hard time remembering this far out.

It was very refreshing, with a clean finish, and very enjoyable by itself - though there were snacks at the Superbowl party, they weren't exactly meant for pairing with wine.  I'm just not sure that there is any wine that goes well with taquitos.

---

Books: Just finished Night by Elie Wiesel, which was quite good and rather haunting.  Up next is Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories, though I am still making my way through the last two months of Wine Spectator as well.

Bottles: Nothing of note lately.  But I did buy half a dozen bottles last week - K Syrah, two more bottles of Ramey Claret, another bottle of Chappellet 2008, and two bottles of some sort of Bordeaux Blanc to try out (and because 6 bottles get a 5% discount).  I will report on what gets drunk - something is going to happen soon.

Guitar: Started on "Fat Old Sun", which is very fun to play.  "Sorrow" proved troublesome because it's rather hard to identify the individual guitar parts.

Writing: Started on the third draft of my novella, and been doing some research for it as well; read the pertinent parts of a dissertation recently and got some great ideas on how to deal with the psychological effects of torture.  I could use another resource or two I think, and I eventually need to find a book that has old World War I memos or briefings or what have you.