18 January 2011

The Lord of the Rings

Today I finished my annual reading of The Lord of the Rings.  It took a bit longer this year, as I was a bit distracting by other goings-on, but in a way it was nice because I lingered over it and savored it more.

Some people ask how I can read a book over and over, year after year; don't I already know what's going to happen?  Well, yes, but it's how I get there that is so enjoyable to me.  LOTR is good enough that it still evokes strong emotions in me every time I read it; whether it be Gandalf facing the Balrog on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, or horns of the Rohirrim at dawn on the Pelennor Fields, I still laugh, cry, get goosebumps, and thoroughly lose myself in the story.  What could be more enjoyable?

Tolkien revealed a world that I am not alone in wishing I could visit; people all over the world have taken his masterpiece and made it an important part of their lives.

I don't really know what else to say about the book; there is so much else out there about it, anything I might have to say would probably seem meaningless.  All I can say is that I love the book and look forward to my next annual reading!

---

Books: Finished LOTR.  Going to read the appendices and then it's on to Salem's Lot.

Wine: Had a Columbia Crest 2009 Riesling; thought it was a bit better than the 2008, a bit sweeter and with more structured fruit, but otherwise very similar.

Guitar: Working on "Sheep" as well as a "Study in A" classical piece and a blues study.

Writing: Past the halfway point of the first revision of the novella.  Reading it through again I am very pleased with how it came out, though I can see plenty of places for improvement.  Still, I feel like I conveyed what I wanted to convey.  So yea.