31 January 2011

Elio Perrone Sourgal 2009 Moscato d'Asti

I have a soft spot for Moscato d'Astis, or for good ones at least - I've never been a huge fan of champagne (though there are a few that I have liked), but there are few things more festive than sparkling wines.  The Moscato grape makes a sweet, light wine, and most wineries make it slightly sparkling.

Elio Perrone is my favorite source for Moscato d'Asti, and I have enjoyed several of their bottlings: Bigaro, Carte, and, as noted above, their Sourgal 2009.

The wine is light in color, far more delicate than chardonnays or rieslings.  It carries scents of grape and peach blossoms, and a slight minerality.  The body is light, and the flavors of peach shine through.  Its acidity offers a nice cleansing of the palate.

I drank the wine with a meal of breakfast-for-dinner: crunchy french toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon.  I served the wine mixed with an equal part of Simply Orange orange juice, which proved an excellent combination, sweeter than a mimosa, and thoroughly enjoyable with the meal: the sweetness and acidity paved the way for a smooth transition between the different courses.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable bottle, though it can be hard to find, but when it is found, it can be got for about $20.

---

Books: Still reading Salem's Lot - I'm on chapter 5 - and finished my friend's first draft of her novel, which was excellent!

Bottles: Mostly been drinking Alamos Malbec 2008, and of course the above Elio Perrone Sourgal 2009.

Guitar: Working on "Sheep," as well as a blues study.

Writing: Typing up the second draft of my novel.