06 December 2010

Domaine Pichot Vouvray 2007

I previously wrote about Domaine Pichot's 2008 Vouvray.  I also had a bottle of 2007, which I enjoyed at the late Thanksgiving dinner with my friends, served alongside Domaine Lafond's Lirac 2007.

The 2007 was much like the 2008, so I won't go into great detail about it.  I will, however, say that it was more fruity and tart, as well as sweeter on the finish, and I think I liked it slightly better than the 2008.

I did not drink it with dinner, as it was a popular choice and I did not wish to deprive others from having a glass, but when there was some left after dinner, I availed my chance of trying it with the cheese platter.  Here are my impressions:

Walnut Gouda: Very nice combination, the wine cut through the strong cheese and refreshed the palate.
Petit Basque: Again good, it complemented the cheese, presenting both wine and cheese in their best light.
Garlic & Herb Le Roule: No interaction.
Cranberry Le Roule: No interaction.
Bucheron: The wine mellowed the potent cheese pleasantly.
Humboldt Fog: An okay combination, the cheese brought out a bit more sweetness in the wine.  Not as nice a combination as the Walnut Gouda, the Petit Basque, or the Bucheron.

Domain Pichot's Vouvray, both 2007 and 2008, remains one of my favorite wines, and it has proven to be an exceptional wine for matching with cheeses.  While I enjoy the 2007 more than the 2008, the 2008 is still enjoyable, and I look forward to seeing what the next vintage will bring.

---

Books: The Silmarillion proceeds apace.

Bottles: Nothing new yet.

Writing: 900 words on the novella today.  Feeling back in the swing of it.

Guitar: Practiced soloing today, did some "Time" and "Comfortably Numb."