21 November 2010

A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door is the second book in the "Time Quartet" by Madeline L'Engle, and is the sequel to A Wrinkle in Time.  I read Wrinkle a bit before starting this blog, so I will just preface this by saying that I tried reading Wrinkle in fifth grade and couldn't quite handle it.  Now, working on the Quartet, I find I am much better able to appreciate it.

Windf once more follows Meg Murry, the protagonist of Wrinkle, along with her family and friends - including precocious psychic brother Charles Wallace, obvious romantic interest Calvin, scientist mother, and mean school principal Mr. Jenkins.  While Wrinkle was a story of space and time, Wind is a story of the heart and body.

The story starts when Charles Wallace - who is just starting school, where he is the odd one in his class - sees a dragon in the yard, though it turns out to be a cherubim.  Yes, I know - cherubim is plural.  Nonetheless the creature (singular) insists it's really more appropriate for it to be called by its plural.  Its name is Proginoskes.

Anyway, Charles Wallace is sick due to mitochondritis, so Meg goes on an adventure to save him - first by opening her heart to Mr. Jenkins, formerly her high school principal and now Charles Wallace's elementary school principal.  She has always had a hard time getting along with him, but she must find a way to pick the true version of him out from a set of duplicate Echthroi - beings who would unmake creation.

That done, Meg and company take a journey inside Charles Wallace to visit a mitochondrion and work with the "farandolae" - fictitious inhabitants of mitochondria - to defeat the Echthroi and save Charles Wallace.

So, as one can tell from this brief synopsis, the plot is complicated, but moves along at a steady pace, and is a suitable adventure story.  The science aspect of it is especially fascinating to me, and the characters are very real and well-rounded.  That said, for both Wrinkle and Wind, I have had a hard time identifying with Meg, the main protagonist and the focal point for the story - her experience of adolescence is very dissimilar to mine.  She is often conflicted, stubborn, and at times scornful - while I was certainly a stubborn child, I was stubborn in different ways.  Maybe it's just because I was never a little girl.

All told, Wind was enjoyable, and at it's heart, it's a story about the triumph of the love we hold for one another - a notion I can always appreciate.

---

Books: Reading A Swiftly Tilting Planet, book 3 in the Time Quartet.

Bottles: At a Fakesgiving dinner, I enjoyed Domaine Bruno Claire Marsannay 2006; Donausonne Blaufrankisch 2008; Domaine Pichot Vouvray 2008; and Dashe Late Harvest Zinfandel 2007.  I took notes on all four and will be posting reviews in the next few days.

Writing: None lately.  Other things have been keeping me busy.  Hope to do some tomorrow.

Guitar: Still working on "Hey You," also worked on "Sex on Fire."