17 November 2010

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I finally finished So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, the fourth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series.  It was a more romantic and whimsical book than the ones that preceded it.  For the first time (it seemed to me), Douglas Adams was willing to dip into sentiment and leave satire behind at a few moments, which were thoroughly enjoyable.

So Long... tells the story of Arthur Dent after he returns to Earth - though Earth was, of course, demolished in the opening chapters of the first book in the series.  Obviously this presents a quandry, but then again, the universe is a strange place.  Anyway, he meets a girl, falls in love, manages to run into Ford Prefect and Marvin the Robot again, and there's fun to be had for all.

I think, all things considered, it just might be my favorite book of the series, though I have yet to read the final one, so it's hard to say for certain.  It was lighter on action and a bit heavier on heart, which was a strangely welcome change.

---

Books: Mostly Harmless.

Bottles: Drank a glass of Leonard Kreutsch Sp├Ątlese 2008 Riesling.  Will write a review sometime when I open a bottle fresh.  It is one of my favorite budget Rieslings.

Writing: Did some research on trees of Greece today.  Wrote 850 words on Chapter 4 of the novella.  As I expected, writing is slower for me here.  I need to find a way to duplicate the effects that travel has on my writing.  Maybe driving out to somewhere further away, like Weston, and find a little coffee shop or cafe and try writing there.

Guitar: Working on "Sex on Fire," "Hey You," and a few scales and licks right now.