11 November 2010

Life, the Universe and Everything

I'm afraid it's been several days since I finished Life, the Universe and Everything, the third of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.  I finished it Monday morning before heading to Borders to pick up Towers of Midnight, which then proceeded to consume my life.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy the book, and so far it has been my favorite of the Hitchhiker's Guide series.

While rereading a synopsis to refresh my memory of the book, I found that it had originally been intended as a Doctor Who serial for Tom Baker, which amused me greatly since I love Doctor Who and had an easy time imagining how it might have been.

So, to business.  The novel featured a bit less philosophy than the prior ones, to my mind at least, and rather a bit more of science fiction adventure.  The humor of the series was left fully intact, however, as is evidenced by the delightful use of Marvin the Paranoid Android in the novel, as well as one of my favorite moments, when the inhabitants of the planet Krikkit behold the rest of the universe for the first time and decide "It'll have to go."  Normally you would expect witnessing the beginnings of a genocidal rampage would be chilling, but the way these characters so nonchalantly decide to destroy the rest of the universe made me laugh out loud, something I rarely do at books.

The operations of the starship Bistromath were particularly amusing to me, every bit as whimsical as the Infinite Improbability Drive, and in a strange way represented some of the best sci-fi concepts to me.  I also enjoyed the bizarre space-time phenomena that were encountered, such as the floating anachronistic sofa.

I suppose, in the end, I don't have much new to contribute about the book.  I enjoyed it immensely, it made me think, but like many great works, it's hard to articulate just what it made me think about, especially several days removed.  I suppose I will have to try to be better about writing responses more immediately after finishing a book.

---

Books: Working on So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.  Also making my way through Battle, a big coffee table book about the major military operations in world history, which is proving useful inspiration for AEGIS, my novella.

Bottles: Still working on that bottle of Alamos Malbec 2009.  Will probably blog it tomorrow.

Writing: Did a good bit of note-taking today, and lots of thinking.  I am going to finish chapter three tomorrow, come hell or high-water.  I have a timetable for finishing the novella in the next two weeks, and I'm going to stick to it!

Guitar: Only a little today.  It was rainy and truth be told I was rather lethargic for large parts of the day.  Lousy excuse, I know.  But I am getting better about practicing more frequently, even if I don't feel like it when I start.  I think this blog is doing its job.