03 November 2010

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Well, I finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night.  I'm reading a paperback that collects all five novels in the Hitchhiker's series, but so far I have only finished the first.

I enjoyed it a great deal.  I can see why it's a classic.  Why is it that the classics are so much harder to talk about?

Perhaps the most distinctive feature of it, to me, was the humor (or should it be humour?), which reminded me a great deal of that found in The Phantom Tollbooth, my favorite book as a child.  Witty wordplay, puns, and a delightful use of the non sequitur fill the book.

The book was a bit heavier on the fiction than on the science, but that's all right - in fact, much of the aforementioned humo(u)r derived from lampooning science and its projected future.

I had already seen the movie version of Hitchhiker's Guide, and I have to say that hearing Alan Rickman in my head as the voice of Marvin the Robot was especially fun.

I have already begun reading the next book in the series, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, which so far is living up to its predecessor.  I look forward to completing the series.

---

Books: Working on The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.


Bottles: Drank a glass of Two Rivers Chardonnay at dinner.

Writing: Wrote on my novella today, surprisingly.  Clocked in at about 550 words on Part 2, Chapter 2.

Guitar - N/A.