19 November 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

Last night I attended the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.  I attended it with my sister and three of my close friends, and I had a blast with them.

The movie was AWESOME.  David Yates really gets the universe, and he also gets what it takes to translate a book into a good movie - a hard thing to do.  I didn't always agree with his choices, but I could understand why he made them.

So, the movie started with the standard "Hegwig's Theme," though it sounded like a newer arrangement to me, but it may have just been the creepy sound effects that were also playing.  That theme is every bit as identifiable as the Star Wars theme is, in my opinion - it instantly sets the mood for the movie in a way that only music can.

The movie moved swiftly through the opening, skimming over the Dursleys' departure, but including a brief look at Hermione saying goodbye to her parents.  The seven Potters scene was brilliantly done, and the escape from Number 4 Privet Drive was exhilarating.  Hedwig's death in the movie was done exactly as it needed to be - while the drama and the loss is so clear in the book in the way it happens, that would not have worked in the movie, but having her come back to defend Harry after he tried to release her was far more impacting on the big screen.

The Death Eaters' conference scene was especially chilling, and truly showed off Alan Rickman's acting chops - you could see so much going on behind his blank stare.  It was truly a wonderful moment.

The film did an excellent job compressing the camping scenes of the book, which take up nearly a third of it.  They highlighted the most important points, and used visuals as only films can to give us the feeling of weeks on end spent camping without the detail that the book gives.  The only part I didn't like was the scene where Harry tries to cheer Hermione up by dancing with her.  I got it, understood it, just didn't like it.  But you can't please everyone.

The depiction of "The Tale of the Three Brothers" was one of the most unique animated segments I have ever seen, and it was so beautiful and evocative.  It may have been my favorite part.

The film's climax, in Malfoy Manor, was brilliantly done.  Dobby really and truly stole the show (as he should have).  And yet, somehow, his death was not as affecting to me as I expected it to be - certainly less impacting than the book was.  On the matter of impacting scenes, though, the moment between Harry and Hermione at Harry's parents' grave brought tears to my eyes, something it hadn't done in the book.  Perhaps on repeat viewings I will be able to identify why this is so.

I loved this movie.  What more needs saying?

---

Books: Nearly done with A Wind in the Door.

Bottles: Opened up another Alamos Malbec 2009.  Tomorrow will bring some new bottles I think.  I will take notes.

Writing: Just this blog post.  I made qottab today and that took most of my time.

Guitar: Again, qottab took precedence.  But I am going to tomorrow, come hell or high water.