30 November 2010

Grand Vins de Bourgogne - Paul Pernet et Ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 2007

Like all French wines, there is a crapload of information on the label, so hopefully what I've put in the title will enable you to find and recognize it.  It's made from the Chardonnay grape, grown in the Cote-d'Or region of Burgundy (or Bourgogne).

I first tasted this wine at The Wine Cellar (now gone, sad face), and it revolutionized my understanding of Chardonnay.  In the past I had avoided Chardonnay, but after tasting this white Burgundy I suddenly understood what it was all about, and I've been hooked on white Burgundy ever since.

The wine was clear and light, like extremely refined honey.  It had a very gentle, floral bouquet, with hints of cinnamon in it.

The taste started with a gentle, buttery hit; a mellow, supple mouthfeel accented a balanced acidity and light oakiness.  It was creamy and complex, with a bit of minerality to balance the butteriness.  The finish lingers on that buttery note for quite a while.

I ate it at Thanksgiving (on the day), with my family, and a menu that included Turkey with gravy, apple-cranberry dressing, potato casserole with Gruyere, and cranberry salad.  With the turkey, it expressed its acidity more strongly, and enhanced the meatiness of the dish.  With the dressing, it interacted favorably with the apples and dried cranberries to bring out more fruit.  It got a bit oaky with the potatoes.  It interacted very poorly with the cranberry salad, becoming bitter and acidic.

All in all, it was a good pick for Thanksgiving, and a great wine to enjoy any time.  It costs about $25 per bottle, but I haven't seen it anywhere since The Wine Cellar.



---


Books: Still on Stuff.


Bottles: None lately.


Writing: No.  Tomorrow I am going to try to make a writing date with my writing buddy and get some work done.


Guitar: Lesson today, still working on "Hey You," plus a new classical piece.