27 November 2010

Donausonne Blaufrankisch 2008

Donausonne Blaufrankisch 2008 is a unique red wine from Hungary, made from the Blaufrankisch grape.  Light in body and blood-red in color, it had a bouquet that was sweet, like regular grape juice.

The taste of grapes was forefront throughout the experience, though it also gently expressed other sweet fruits, like apples and pomegranates.  It had a very light mouthfeel, and a semi-sweetness to it, though it did hint of tannins before its sweet finish.

Donausonne Blaufrankisch was one of my early wine experiences, and ever since it has remained one of my go-to wines when I need to provide wine for a crowd.  It is sweet enough to please most palates, but it does offer the strength and heart-healthy benefits of red wines.  Not only that, it is very affordable - I usually find it for $13 or so, and have found it at many places in the KC Metro, most recently at Bubbles.

It is one of the wines I served at the "Fakesgiving" dinner, which had usual Thanksgiving fare.  It did not offer any interaction of note with the turkey, stuffing, or mashed potatoes.

---

Books: Finished Many Waters, expect to see a post about it soon.  Started on Stuff by Randy Frost and Gail Steketee.

Bottles: Domaine Lafond Lirac 2007 and Meyer Family Port from the late Thanksgiving dinner I enjoyed with friends.  Expect posts about them as well.

Writing: Hoping to do some tonight.  We'll see.

Guitar: Spent the day out and about, so no.  I know I will have time tomorrow.  I need to start doing it in the mornings maybe.